Student Admissions Policies and Procedures
Governing Law: Admission Requirements, if applicable-Education Code Section 47605(b)(5)(H)
The Charter School shall admit all pupils who wish to attend the Charter School up to capacity. No test or assessment shall be administered to students prior to acceptance and enrollment into the school.
Pupils will be considered for admissions without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, disability, fluency in English, parent income/educational level, religious preference, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation.
The application process is comprised of the following:
- Parent attendance at a school orientation meeting
- Completion of a student enrollment form
- Proof of Immunization
- Home Language Survey
- Completion of Emergency Medical Information Form
- Proof of minimum age requirements, e.g. birth certificate
Applications will be accepted during a publicly advertised open enrollment period each spring for enrollment in the following school year. Following the open enrollment period each year applications shall be counted to determine whether any grade level has received more applications than availability. In the event that this happens, the Charter School will hold a public random drawing to determine enrollment for the impacted grade level, with the exception of existing students (2nd year forward) who are guaranteed enrollment in the following school year.
Enrollment preferences in the case of a public random drawing shall be allowed as follows in the order of preference listed:
- Siblings of current students
- Children of OAHS employees
- Founding Families (children of parents who served on the Charter School Design Team)
- Children of airport employees and/or airport tenants
- Students from Oakland Unified School District
- All other California residents
At the conclusion of the public random drawing, all students who were not granted admission due to capacity shall be given the option to put their name on a wait list according to their draw in the lottery. This wait list will allow students the option of enrollment in the case of an opening during the school year. In no circumstance will a wait list carry over to the following school year.